Fellow watermelon fanatics, you are going to love this fresh watermelon margarita recipe! It’s just so refreshing, especially on a hot summer day. Kick back and relax with an ice cold watermelon margarita on the rocks. I am really excited to share with you how to make a watermelon margarita, because I think it just might become your go-to summer drink. This salted watermelon margarita took some testing (rough job, I know!), but eventually I figured out the right ratios and it turned out even better than I imagined!
A little drizzle of honey makes this watermelon margarita even sweeter, and the sprinkle of chili powder adds a little bit of heat. But, if you prefer to do a lower sugar drink as I often do, you can easily make these watermelon tequila cocktails without the honey.
What’s In A Margarita?
Well, there are about a zillion different variations of margaritas out there, but they always have tequila!
Here are the ingredients in my salted watermelon margarita recipe:
- Watermelon Juice – You can make it fresh yourself, and it’s super easy!
- Silver Tequila – Takes the watermelon margarita to the next level.
- Lime Juice – Adds a subtle tang that’s amazing.
- Orange Juice – I’m a fan of using orange juice in place of triple sec but you could go that route, too.
- Honey – Just a drizzle of honey is ideal so it’s not too sweet. Yum!
- Sea Salt – Salt brings out the natural sweetness in the watermelon beautifully.
- Chili Powder – I love the little bit of heat it adds to the flavor.
TIP: Want a low-ish carb version? Leave out the honey and replace the orange juice with orange extract. You’ll still get some sweetness from the watermelon juice, so it’s not super low carb, but definitely lighter on the sugar.
How To Make A Watermelon Margarita
This watermelon alcohol drink couldn’t be any easier to make! Here are the straightforward steps so you can be sipping on your own margarita cocktail in no time. 🙂
- Prep your glass. Rim a glass with salt and chili powder.
- Mix your drinks. Add the watermelon juice, tequila, lime juice, orange juice, and honey to the shaker.
TIP: To make it easier to mix in the honey you can mix it with equal parts warm water… or do what I do half the time and just shake the cocktail extra hard to get everything melded together.
- Shake and serve. Pour over ice and serve.
Does This Salted Watermelon Margarita Have To Be Served On The Rocks?
Nope! This watermelon margarita on the rocks can be served frozen or on the rocks.
If you want a frozen watermelon margarita, simply rim the glass with salt and chili powder like you usually would. Then, instead of adding ingredients to a shaker, put them in a high-power blender with ice. Pulse until smooth, pour in the glass and drink up.
Difference Between Silver And Gold Tequila
I know it would seem that tequila would be tequila no matter what color it is, but there are a few differences. Here are the basic characteristics of each, so you can see how they differ:
- Silver Tequila – Silver tequila is clear and has no color to it whatsoever. After the distilling process of silver tequila, it is placed in a bottle right away. It isn’t aged at all, and it’s not really intended to be a drink that you take shots of. If you drink it straight, the flavor is a little stronger than gold.
TIP: I prefer silver tequila in my fresh watermelon margarita because there are no additives to it.
- Gold Tequila – You will notice that gold tequila is just like the name says, a golden or caramel color. The coloring comes from additives (caramel colors), or due to the aging process in barrels. It’s aged and that gives it a sweeter taste. Typically, gold tequila is better for drinking straight because it has a smoother flavor.
Fresh Watermelon Margarita Variations
While this is written as a watermelon margarita on the rocks, you can actually use other fruits in this recipe. This is a great base to get you started, then change it up or add in flavors as you wish.
TIP: When you add extra fruit, you can use a juicer or blend and have the margarita cocktail frozen.
Try some of these ideas:
- Mango – It adds a sweet tropical flavor that goes well with the silver tequila.
- Strawberries – You can use berries alone or add some to the watermelon for a surprising twist!
- Peaches – They are so sweet and juicy! Adding them to an easy margarita recipe is super simple!
- Jalapeno – Slice a couple of jalapenos and swirl them in the pitcher. This will give the salted watermelon margarita a touch of heat!
- Habenero – If you are feeling wild, you can add some habanero peppers to the watermelon margarita on the rocks!
How Do You Store A Fresh Watermelon Margarita?
If you don’t finish your watermelon summer drink, you can store the leftovers in the refrigerator. It will last about a day or two in the fridge.
TIP: Take out the ice before storing, because that would make it very watered down.
Can You Freeze This Watermelon Margarita Recipe?
Yes, you can actually freeze this salted watermelon margarita. Just keep in mind if you decide to freeze it, you are better off to blend it instead of leaving it on the rocks. Otherwise, when it’s time to drink it, the texture will be off.
If you accidentally freeze it on the rocks, you can drop it in the blender right before serving too. Just keep it in an airtight container or freezer bag.
TIP: Speaking of freezing, this watermelon margarita mix makes the most amazing watermelon margarita popsicles!
More Margarita Recipes
If you like this fresh watermelon margarita, you might love these other paleo margarita recipes:
- Cantaloupe Margarita – Similar to this fresh watermelon margarita, this one is bursting with fresh summer flavors.
- Peach Jam Margarita – The easiest way to add a bit of peach flavor to margaritas.
- Spicy Matcha Margarita – This trendy and green margarita is exploding with flavors.
If you prefer a watermelon drink without alcohol, try my watermelon coconut water recipe.
How To Make Fresh Watermelon Margaritas:
Pin it to save for later!
Follow Wicked Spatula on Pinterest
How To Make A Fresh Watermelon Margarita On The Rocks
This salted fresh watermelon margarita recipe is delicious and naturally sweetened. See how to make a watermelon margarita on the rocks in 3 easy steps!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 3 ounces Watermelon juice *
- 2 ounces 100% Agave silver tequila
- 1 ounce Lime juice
- 1 ounce Orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Honey
- 1/2 teaspoon Warm water
- Sea salt
- Chili powder
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
- Mix a tablespoon of salt with a few shakes of chili powder on a plate. Wet the rim of a glass with a slice of lime and dredge through the salt. Fill with ice.
Mix the honey with the warm water and shake with the watermelon juice, tequila, orange juice, and lime juice. Add in a small pinch of salt and shake once more.
Strain over ice and garnish with a slice of watermelon and lime.
Serving Size: 1 watermelon margarita (entire recipe)
Note: To make watermelon juice, simply blend watermelon and strain through a mesh strainer.
Lower carb option: Omit the honey and use 1/4 tsp orange extract instead of orange juice.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols (though the latter are rarely seen on this site), because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
© Copyright Wicked Spatula. We'd LOVE for you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe instructions to social media or websites. You may share a photo with a link back instead.
Did you make this recipe?
Click here to leave a comment + star rating! ★★★★★
Then, share a pic on Instagram. Tag @wickedspatula or #wickedspatula!
OMG!! Excellent presentation on watermelon margarita. I can’t handle greed to apply this recipe. Would you like to inform what is the best way in this purpose to blend watermelon? Thanks for excellent sharing.
These are so good! A nice refreshing drink on a hot summer day!
This is SO creative 🙂 I have a few friends to swear by putting salt on watermelon. Looks like I’ll have to give it a try now! 😀
YES! This margarita is the perfect summer addition. I really want one right now 🙂
Ah…lightning bugs…I wish we had them in Southern California! Your margarita will be right at home here.
This may be the most delicious drink I have ever tried!!
Well! Now I know what to do with that watermelon that’s been on my counter 🙂 These are awesome!