This coconut water recipe is a natural sports drink that tastes so much better than store bought and it’s full of nutritious ingredients – no artificial dyes, sweeteners, or colors with this refreshing watermelon coconut drink.
It’s been HOT here lately. And we all know though that after a hard workout or time spent sweating in the sun, your body needs more than just water. It needs minerals, sodium, potassium…all that good stuff. Enter this cool lime refresher!
My watermelon coconut water is super easy to make and has all the benefits of a sports drink without containing junk you don’t need. You are going to find that this will quickly become one of your favorite coconut water drink recipes ever!
Just look at it!
How To Make This Coconut Water Recipe
One thing I love about coconut water drink recipes is that they can be whipped up in under 5 minutes! Plus, it’s super flavorful, and you can feel good about replenishing nutrients with this drink.
Let’s talk about the easy steps to making this watermelon coconut water drink:
- Place watermelon, coconut water, and lime juice in a blender. Blend until everything is liquid-y.
- Fill a glass with the cool lime refresher and pour in a splash of sparkling mineral water. Serve with some lime wedges.
Watermelon Coconut Water Variations
This is the best coconut water just the way it’s written, but if you want to add in some extra flavors, go for it!
Try this lime refresher with any of these ideas:
- Cantaloupe – Either exchange the watermelon for cantaloupe entirely or make the healthy coconut water drink recipe with half watermelon half cantaloupe. It will be refreshing and flavorful both ways.
- Lemon Juice – You can swap lime juice for lemon juice with this watermelon coconut water recipe.
- Honey – You can add a drizzle of honey to cool lime refresher. Don’t go overboard, just a little taste will bring out a lot of sweetness.
- Cucumber – Adding cucumber gives makes coconut water drink recipes even better flavor! Remove the seeds for optimal texture.
- Pineapple – Anything with pineapple and coconut is going to be amazing! My only advice is that you might want to strain the drink before drinking if you aren’t a fan of pulp. Otherwise, you can drink up! Yum!
Coconut Milk vs. Coconut Water
If you aren’t experienced at using coconut milk or coconut water, you may be wondering what the difference is. I thought I would take a minute to explain the difference, so you know which one to use when making different recipes.
- Coconut Milk – Coconut milk comes from the flesh (white part) of the coconut. It is grated and soaked in water. When this happens, there will be a coconut cream layer on top. The coconut milk is a combination of the coconut water, and coconut milk blended together. This is usually found in a can.
- Coconut Water – You will find coconut water in the middle of a coconut. You can go to the store, buy a fresh coconut, poke a hole in it, and drain the liquid. Then you have coconut water! Or you can buy it prepackaged to save yourself the trouble. This is usually found in bottles or tetra-pack containers in the beverage section.
Benefits Of Coconut Water Drink Recipes
This watermelon coconut water is very healthy! Let’s just talk about the benefits of this natural sports drink for a second:
- 1 cup of watermelon juice has 740mg of potassium
- 60% of your daily Vitamin C
- Contains L-Citrulline -accelerates the removal of lactic acid from muscles that help you recover after a workout
- 600mg of potassium per 1 cup (twice the amount of 1 banana)
- The same level of nutrients as human blood, so it’s very easy to absorb allowing you to rehydrate faster
- Citric acid is a well known fat burner
- Contains about 25g of Vitamin C for the juice of 2 limes
I don’t think it gets much better than that! So the next time you reach for a sports drink, remember that you can probably make your own for a fraction of the cost and know exactly what’s going into it.
How Do You Store This Natural Sports Drink?
You can store this natural sports drink in the refrigerator. It will last up to 4 days, so it’s easy to grab whenever you want some. Shake it before enjoying!
Can You Freeze This Cool Lime Refresher?
Yes, you can freeze this cool lime refresher. You can freeze the coconut water by pouring it in an ice cube tray and freezing. Once it’s solid, take the cubes and put them in a freezer bag. Then you can use them as ice cubes in water, or you can melt them to drink later.
Another option is to freeze the drink in a glass jar, and you can place it in the fridge overnight when you are ready to drink. It will last 1-2 months in the freezer.
More Paleo Drink Recipes
If you love this coconut water recipe, you should try some of these delicious paleo drinks too:
- Homemade Banana Chocolate Protein Shake – So rich and decadent!
- Cinnamon Turmeric Iced Tea – It’s caffeine free too!
- Blender Turmeric Limeade – It’s completely refreshing.
Lime Watermelon Coconut Water Recipe (A Natural Sports Drink)
This coconut water recipe is a NATURAL SPORTS DRINK! Cool lime watermelon coconut water is the natural hydration you've been looking for and takes 5 min to make.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 4 cups Watermelon (diced)
- 2 cups Coconut water
- 2 Limes (juiced)
- Sparkling mineral water (optional)
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
Place the watermelon in a blender with the coconut water and lime juice. Blend on high speed for a minute or so until it's completely liquified.
- Pour into a glass with ice and top with a splash of sparkling mineral water.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols (though the latter are rarely seen on this site), because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.