This green chile chicken soup recipe is one I make often. It sort of resembles my Caldo de Pollo, but is made in the slow cooker. Which means that green chili soup takes no effort AT ALL and is ready whenever you are. Aren’t slow cookers the best?!
Many people will only eat soup in the cold winter months, but I make this green chile chicken soup recipe year round. My family loves it for a simple lunch or dinner. We have also been known to serve it when we have friends over for dinner. Making green chili chicken soup in a Crock Pot gives me time to make a paleo dessert for after.
This broth-based easy chicken green chili recipe is naturally low carb and paleo friendly, but the whole family will enjoy it even if they aren’t following a special diet. For fans of soup with bread, try my paleo jalapeno cornbread muffins to go with it. So good!
How To Make Green Chili Soup
Because you cook green chili chicken soup in a Crock Pot, you’ll have all kinds of free time! 🙂 Okay, maybe not, but you at least don’t have to spend hours cooking.
Time for the good stuff – the directions on how to make green chili soup.
- Place the chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Top with garlic, minced jalapenos, onion, bell pepper, green chiles, cilantro, broth, lime juice, and seasonings.
- Cook on High for 4-5 hours or Low for 7-8 hours, and call it a day.
Now just pick your toppings, and you can devour the best green chili recipe ever!
Toppings For Green Chili Chicken Soup In A Crock Pot
Okay, now you’ve made your green chili chicken soup in a Crock Pot – now let’s talk about toppings for a minute.
There are so many options out there that would go perfectly with green chili chicken soup. Here is some inspiration:
- Avocado – I can’t get enough creamy avocado, and it is a wonderful addition to this green chile chicken crock pot recipe.
- Tomatoes – Pick up some fresh ones at the market, dice ’em and sprinkle a few on top.
- Green Onions – Chop up green onions and toss a few on top of the green chili chicken slow cooker soup.
- Pico de Gallo – Add as much pico de gallo as you like!
- Cilantro – You can never have too much cilantro with this green chili soup recipe.
- Jalapenos – I like to toss a few pieces of sliced peppers for some heat once in a while.
- Lime Juice – The tangy flavor of the lime juice pairs perfectly with this soup.
Can You Make Green Chili Chicken Soup Thicker?
Yes, you can make green chili chicken soup thicker if you want to.
Simply mix about 1/4 cup of cold water and 2 tablespoons of arrowroot starch in a small bowl, then add to the slow cooker at the end and whisk while turned on Low, until thickened. You can add more to your liking.
Note that arrowroot is not low carb, so skip it if you’re going for a low carb soup. The broth is really good as is, anyway!
Can I Cook This Green Chile Chicken Soup Recipe On The Stove?
Yes, you can make this green chile chicken soup recipe on the stove if you want to.
Put all the ingredients in a soup pot and bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked, shred it with a couple of forks, and dig in!
Can You Make Green Chili Chicken Soup In A Crock Pot Ahead?
Yes, you can make green chili chicken soup in a crock pot ahead of time if you want. It will last 3 to 4 days in the fridge.
How To Freeze Green Chile Chicken Soup
You can freeze this green chile chicken soup recipe in airtight glass containers, or freezer bags. If you decide to freeze the chicken chili soup in the freezer bags, lay them flat first, then after they are frozen you can stand them up to make more room.
To reheat the soup, let it thaw in the fridge overnight, then heat over medium-low heat on the stove.
More Paleo Soup Recipes
If you love soup as much as I do, you are going to want to look at these delicious soups.
Try your paleo soups with some paleo cornbread.
Crock Pot Green Chili Chicken Soup Recipe:
Pin it to save for later!
Green Chili Chicken Soup Crock Pot Recipe
An EASY slow cooker green chili chicken soup recipe! Learn how to make green chili chicken soup in a Crock Pot with just 10 minutes prep.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 1 lb Chicken breasts
- 5 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 medium Jalapeños (minced)
- 1 medium White onion (diced)
- 1 medium Bell pepper (diced)
- 1 6-oz can Diced green chiles
- 1 handful Fresh cilantro (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Lime juice
- 4 cups Chicken broth (or any broth you like)
- Lime juice
- Fresh cilantro
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
Place the chicken on the bottom of the slow cooker and pour in the remaining ingredients. Set to either 5 hours on high or 7-8 hours on low.
- Once done taste for seasoning and add additional salt if necessary. Top with desired toppings and serve.
Serving Size: ~1 1/2 cups or 1/4 of entire recipe
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols (though the latter are rarely seen on this site), because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.