Oh my goodness, this slow cooker chicken fajitas recipe (a.k.a. healthy chicken fajitas) will make you so impatient as they are cooking. As much as I love cast iron fajitas that get nice and caramelized, I wanted to do something different. A little more hands-off, shall we say? And that’s precisely where this slow cooker chicken fajita recipe came from. These Crock Pot chicken fajitas are nice and tender, and let’s be real, couldn’t be easier to make! The benefit of my chicken fajita Crock Pot recipe? You can do other things instead of standing over a hot stove.
Since these are paleo, we’re skipping the tortilla shells, but you can make paleo tortillas or plantain tortillas instead. Or simply serve the chicken fajita recipe in lettuce cups with guacamole, pico de gallo, limes, and fresh sliced jalapeños. Yum!
Homemade chicken fajitas are such an easy lunch or dinner that the whole family will love. They are seriously a family favorite!
How To Make Chicken Fajitas In A Crock Pot
I seriously don’t think you could find a more effortless easy chicken fajita recipe. Not to mention these easy Crock Pot chicken fajitas are flavorful, too.
Here’s how to make chicken fajitas in the slow cooker with less work:
- Add chicken and veggies to your Crock Pot. Layer the chicken and vegetables with ghee.
- Season the fajita mixture. Sprinkle with paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, sea salt, and black pepper.
- Add broth. Top the mixture with beef broth and ghee.
TIP: I used a 1/2 cup of beef bone broth that I had on hand, but you can totally use vegetable or chicken broth as well.
- Cook the healthy chicken fajitas. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Serve. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
There you have it, the best chicken fajitas you can make in a slow cooker.
Are Chicken Fajitas Spicy?
No, this chicken fajita Crock Pot recipe isn’t spicy at all. If you want it to be spicy, you can always add more red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper or jalapenos according to preference.
You can also add heat at the end with red pepper flakes, sliced jalapenos, or your favorite hot sauce. (I often go with this option so that the kids can have a version that isn’t spicy.)
Are Chicken Fajitas Gluten-Free?
Yes, my simple chicken fajitas recipe is naturally gluten-free. Actually, anything you find on this blog is going to be gluten-free.
When you eat Mexican chicken fajitas at a restaurant, there may be some hidden gluten in them, so ask if it’s important to you.
How Many Calories Are In Chicken Fajitas?
This slow cooker chicken fajita recipe has 263 calories per serving. That sounds low, but does not include the toppings, so adds up to a whole meal once you add toppings, sauces, tortillas, etc.
How Do You Store This Slow Cooker Chicken Fajita Recipe?
Give the chicken fajita Crock Pot recipe time to cool down after it cooks, then store in the fridge.
This slow cooker chicken fajita recipe will last around 3-4 days refrigerated.
Can You Freeze Chicken Fajitas?
Yes, you sure can freeze these easy chicken fajitas for about 3 months. Whenever you are ready to eat, place in refrigerator the night before to thaw.
Keep in mind that freezing cooked peppers and onions will cause the texture to be slightly different from when you first ate them. They are still okay to eat, but I do think fresh is best!
I have found the best way to reheat the fajitas is in a skillet with a little olive oil. In a pinch, you can also microwave for 30-second intervals until they are heated all the way through.
More Paleo Mexican Recipes
Add a little bit of heat to your life with these flavorful paleo Mexican recipes. I promise you are going to love them.
- Homemade Huevos Rancheros – So easy, so much flavor!
- Easy Mexican Meatloaf – This twist on meatloaf will never have you thinking it’s just boring meatloaf.
- Chipotle Tuna Stuffed Avocado – Add some spice to your life with these unique stuffed avocados.
Healthy Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas Recipe:
Pin it to save for later!
Healthy Crockpot Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas Recipe
This healthy slow cooker chicken fajitas recipe is easy and healthy! Learn how to make Crock Pot chicken fajitas with just 10 minutes prep time and simple ingredients.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 1 lb Boneless skinless chicken breast (sliced into strips)
- 1 medium Red bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 medium Green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- 1 large White onion (sliced into half rings)
- 3 tablespoons Ghee (cold, divided into 1 tbsp and 2 tbsp; or olive oil)
- 1/2 cup Beef broth (or bone broth)
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- Pico de gallo
- Limes (sliced)
- Lettuce cups
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
Place one tablespoon of ghee in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Toss in the chicken, peppers, and onions.
- Sprinkle the seasoning over the chicken and peppers and toss to distribute.
Pour broth into slow cooker, cube ghee into small pieces and sprinkle over the top.
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Depending on the amount of liquid left after cooking you may want to pour a bit out before serving.
- Serve with desired toppings.
Serving Size: 1/4 entire recipe (~1 1/2 cups)
Nutrition facts do not include toppings.
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols (though the latter are rarely seen on this site), because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.