Missing burritos on Paleo? I’ve got you covered with this ridiculously awesome paleo pulled pork burrito!
Sometimes you just don’t want a lettuce wrap. I wanted that soft tortilla like texture for this creation and after testing a few wrap recipes I think this one is perfect. It’s foldable for tacos and rollable for burritos. It doesn’t crack and crumble and can be stuffed to your hearts content. Simply said, it’s perfect.
The sweet heat from the candied jalapeño is by far my favorite part of the dish. Along with the tangy BBQ sauce and they earthy Brussels sprouts and sweet Apple slaw everything fits together so well.
Every component is super easy to throw together. I made the jalapeños the night before so they’d have time to soak up the flavor. The next morning I threw the pork roast in the slow cooker and let it do its thing and I also whipped up the BBQ sauce at that point so it would have time to develop deeper flavors. All three of those tasks took about 25-30 minutes. Then when the pork is done all you have to do is shred some Brussels sprouts and apple, make the tortillas, and assemble your burritos! All in all it’s probably a 45 minute (hands on time) dinner. Not bad.
Now this isn’t technically a Mexican burrito but you could totally swap out the slaw for some guacamole and pico de gallo if that’s your thing. This would be a great dinner for Cinco de Mayo next week regardless!
Pulled Pork Burritos with Brussels Sprout Slaw, Candied Jalapeño and White BBQ Sauce
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Ingredients for the Candied Jalapeños
- 20 medium Jalapeños (sliced thin into rings)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 lb pork sirloin roast
- 1/4 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup chicken broth
White BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup Avocado mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- sea salt (to taste)
Brussels Sprout Slaw
- 10 medium Brussels sprouts (thinly shredded)
- 1 small Red apple (cut into thin strips)
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 2 cups tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
Directions for the Candied Jalapeños
- Bring vinegar, sugar, and spices to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer a few minutes until reduced just a bit. Toss in the peppers and simmer 2-3 minutes. Transfer peppers to a jar. Bring the liquid back to boil and let reduce about 2-3 more minutes. Pour the syrup over the peppers and give a shake to distribute the liquid. Store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Let sit at least 12 hours.
- Season pork with the cayenne, cumin, paprika, and salt. Place in slow cooker and top with apple sauce. Pour in the chicken broth around the pork. Set to low heat and cook 7 hours.
White BBQ Sauce
- In a small bowl whisk all of the ingredients together. Give it a taste and season with salt until the flavors are pronounced for your taste. Transfer to a jar and refrigerate until needed.
Brussels Sprout Slaw
- Thinly slice the Brussels sprouts (I use a mandoline) and julienne the apple. Toss together and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg and the water together. Stir in the tapioca, coconut flour, and salt.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over high heat and put a bit of butter or coconut oil in the pan.
- Once hot pour half of the batter into the pan and swirl until the pan is coated. Let cook 2 minutes then flip and cook another 2-3 minutes until its golden brown and cooked through. Repeat.
- Place the tortilla on a sheet of aluminum foil. Top with some pulled pork, jalapeños, slaw, and BBQ sauce. Roll the tortilla into a burrito with the foil. Slice in half with a sharp knife and serve.