This Paleo 7 Layer Dip is a perfect appetizer that everyone will love!
Shew! It feels SO good to be back to this little space after two weeks off!
OK moving along…with new year’s eve literally tomorrow and the Super Bowl right around the corner I’ve had my mind on appetizers! Traditionally appetizers aren’t healthy and they’re definitely not Paleo so I’ve been having some fun coming up with all sorts of deliciousness. First up: Paleo 7 Layer Dip. There’s about a million different layers you could choose from but mine looks like this:
- Salsa (any kind you like! Pico or cantaloupe salsa would be great but I used a jar of tomatillo I had on hand)
- Grilled Chicken (you could also do carnitas or ground beef)
- Shredded Lettuce
- Cherry Tomatoes
- Minced Onion + Cilantro
You could even do bell peppers, mango, pineapple, more jalapeños, or just about anything! This version looks pretty much like my burrito bowl at Barberitos.
I served it with some plantain chips that are super quick to whip up and hold up well to dipping. If you eat corn then by all means grab a bag of tortilla chips too. For the plantain chips I simply sliced them on an angle and fried them for about 2-3 minutes per side in a half inch of coconut oil (about 5-6 tablespoons) in a 10 inch cast iron skillet. I did 2 plantains in 3 batches.
As an appetizer for a crowd this recipe will serve about 10-12 good size servings. I used an 8X8 dish. Look out for more appetizers coming your way soon!
Paleo 7 Layer Dip
This Paleo 7 Layer Dip is a perfect appetizer that everyone will love! Serves 10 - 12 along with other appetizers.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 2 cups guacamole (pre-made or half of this recipe)
- 1.5 cups salsa (pre-made or Pico de Gallo)
- 1 lb grilled chicken (diced)
- 2 cups lettuce (shredded)
- 1 4-oz can black olives (sliced)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (sliced)
- 1/4 small white onion (minced)
- handful Fresh cilantro (minced)
- Green plantains
- Coconut oil
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
- In an 8X8 glass dish layer the ingredients in the listed order.
- For the plantain chips slice peel and slice on an angle into thin chips. Heat about 5-6 tablespoons of oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Fry the chips 2-3 minutes per side or until golden brown and crisp. Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt. You will need to fry them in batches making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
© Copyright Wicked Spatula. We'd LOVE for you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe instructions to social media or websites. You may share a photo with a link back instead.
Did you make this recipe?
Click here to leave a comment + star rating! ★★★★★
Then, share a pic on Instagram. Tag @wickedspatula or #wickedspatula!
Mmmmmmm I want some of this dip NOW! Plus it’s gorg 🙂
Kimberly @ The Daring Gourmet
Gorgeous dip and I love the idea of serving it with plantains!
It sounds like you’ve been having a blast in the kitchen, I love being able to just cook without the pressure of a photo shoot. This dip looks AMAZING, perfect party food!
Kimberly Ann @ Bake Love Give
I’m not sure what I love more, this amazing dip or the fact that you served it with plantain chips! My favorite!