You’d think my first post of the new year would be some ridiculously healthy recipe but instead I’m posting CHOCOLATE! Everything in moderation right???
This Mexican Chocolate Pot de Crème IS healthy though! You get a ton of 100% cacao chocolate that boasts tons of antioxidants and it’s sweetened with just a bit of agave nectar bringing each little serving to about 8 grams of sugar. Not bad huh?
I’ve had this recipe on my mind for awhile and had originally planned to make it a boozy dessert that sort of mimicked my Tequila Orange Truffles. After the Holidays I just wasn’t feeling another boozy concoction and while I’m not doing a January Whole 30 I AM doing a no alcohol, no eating out January. SO, booze free desserts all the way.
I’ve always loved making chocolate pot de crème but I especially love the Mexican touch to this. I got the idea from a local taco shop that I’ve talked about a bazillion times before in my Crispy Pork Belly Tacos post. While their version is definitely not Paleo it sure is delicious. They top the chocolate with a crumble of cornflakes and pistachios and a generous dollop of cinnamon whipped cream. Heaven.
This recipe uses coconut milk instead of dairy and just leaves out the cornflakes. The crunch of the pistachios is my favorite part, the saltiness marries perfectly with the decadent chocolate and the coconut cinnamon whipped cream. I also threw on some chocolate shavings for good measure.
For the coconut whipped cream I used Tasty Yummies recipe. She also shows different brands of coconut milk and how it turns out! The only different thing I did was I added about a teaspoon of cinnamon to the mix. The main thing is to have a COLD bowl and a COLD whisk. I used my stand mixer and just popped both in the freezer for about 15 minutes beforehand.
After making be sure to give them plenty of time to chill in the refrigerator so you’ll have a nice, thick, and creamy dessert! And remember to share! 😉
Mexican Chocolate Pots de Crème
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 1 13.5-oz can Full-fat coconut milk
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 2 medium cinnamon sticks
- 4 tablespoons agave nectar (you can make it as dark or as sweet as you want, with 4 tablespoons they are about 8 grams of sugar per serving)
- 7 ounces 100% high quality dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Crushed pistachios
- Whipped coconut cream
- Chocolate shavings
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
- In a large heavy bottomed pot (I used a dutch oven) whisk together your egg yolks, coconut milk, agave, salt, and cinnamon sticks. Place over medium heat and bring to a steam while whisking constantly. Do not simmer or boil, just steam, adjust heat if needed.
- Once the mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 10-12 minutes) remove from the heat. Remove the cinnamon sticks as well.
- Place the chopped chocolate in a glass bowl and pour the custard over it. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes for the temperature to settle and then whisk to combine. Pour in the almond and vanilla extract and stir until smooth. Pour into 8 4 ounce jars and chill at least 3 hours.
- Top with crushed pistachios, coconut whipped cream, a dusting of cinnamon, and chocolate shavings just before serving.