Sign Up To Get A FREE Paleo EBook!
Join my newsletter to get an ebook of FAST EASY PALEO DINNERS,
plus NEW easy paleo recipes a few times a week. No spam, ever.
This post may contain affiliate links, which help keep this content free. (Full disclosure)
With my family’s busy weeknights, I often turn to easy paleo slow cooker meals – like this Crock Pot sausage and peppers recipe. With just 10 minutes prep and virtually no effort at all, easy slow cooker sausage recipes like this make dinner a breeze. And, Crock Pot sausage, peppers and onions make my whole family happy – even the kids, and even me with my preference toward low carb meals! This slow cooker sausage and peppers recipe is naturally paleo, low carb and keto friendly, but everyone else will enjoy it, too.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
I love the ‘set it and forget it’ hands off nature of using the slow cooker. For this dish, you do need to give the sausages a quick browning in a skillet, but that takes all of 5 minutes and you can do it while you’re slicing up the peppers and onions. This recipe for Crock Pot sausages with peppers and onions comes together really quickly!
We make this dish pretty regularly and I think it’s one of the best slow cooker sausage recipes out there.
Is This Crock Pot Sausage And Peppers Recipe Paleo?
Yes. Provided you choose a brand of sausage that is paleo, everything in this recipe is suitable for a paleo diet.
What Kind of Sausages For This Slow Cooker Sausage Recipe?
I used kielbasa for these Crock Pot sausage and peppers. But, you can also make these as a slow cooker Italian sausage recipe instead. Any kind of sausage you like will work.
No matter what kind you use, I’m pretty sure this will become one of your new favorite sausage Crock Pot recipes!
Can You Put Raw Sausages In A Crock Pot?
Technically yes, you can put raw sausages in a Crock Pot for most slow cooker sausage recipes.
The one downside though is that they won’t look anywhere near as appetizing, and have a bit less flavor without the browning.
Unless you are in a crazy hurry, I’d recommend taking the few minutes it takes to brown your sausages in a skillet first. It’s such a quick thing to do and can be done in the time it takes to prep the veggies.
How To Make Crock Pot Sausage And Peppers
The beauty of this dish is that it requires next to no prep time. Ten minutes and you’re good to go!
You need just 3 easy steps:
- Saute the sausages in a pan to get them nice and brown. Don’t skip this step! It adds so much flavor.
- Place the sausages, peppers and onions into the slow cooker. I usually chop the veggies while the sausages are browning, throw them in the Crock Pot, then add the sausages on top.
- Leave your Crock Pot sausages, peppers and onions to work their magic. The slow cooker will do its thing for 5-6 hours on Low without you having to lift a finger.
Can You Make Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers Without Onions?
Of course you can. Personally, I love onions and use them in so many dishes – but if onions really aren’t your thing then feel free to leave them out. It might not taste quite as rich and sweet without them, but will still taste delicious.
My husband adores this Crock Pot sausage and onions recipe served with a quick marinara sauce. To make the sauce, simply heat up a little olive oil and toast Italian seasoning for a few seconds before adding crushed tomatoes. Of course, you can also use store-bought marinara, which is about the same price as crushed tomatoes.
Any leftover slow cooker sausages are especially delicious for breakfast in an omelette or with a simple poached egg on top!
Can You Freeze Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers?
Yes, you can freeze Crock Pot sausage, peppers and onions. If there are any leftovers – or you make a double batch – slow cooker sausage and peppers is a perfect recipe to freeze.
I freeze mine in sealed freezer bags in individual portions, so that it can be thawed out and reheated in the oven as needed. Just thaw out the portions well, then reheat in either the oven or the microwave.
What To Serve With This Sausage and Peppers Crock Pot Recipe
I often pair these slow cooker sausages and peppers with other favorite make ahead recipes:
- Rosemary Roasted Root Vegetables – this recipe can be made ahead and then reheated.
- Maple Glazed Carrots are another great idea for rich and earthy flavor.
- Chimichurri Sauce or Sugar-Free BBQ Sauce are both great if a marinara sauce is not your thing!
Sausages in a slow cooker also pair well with a salad, so try one of my paleo salad recipes for dinner.
Tools To Make Crock Pot Sausage And Peppers:
Click the links below to see the items used to make this recipe.
- Crock Pot – If you don’t already own a slow cooker, you’re really missing out on easy weeknight cooking. They save time and stress and you can come home to a delicious home cooked meal after a busy day.
- Cast Iron Skillet – This awesome skillet doubles as a dutch oven when you add the lid. It’s such a versatile pan and would also make a great gift for any foodie!
More Paleo Recipes To Love
Crock Pot Sausage, Peppers And Onions Recipe:
Pin it to save for later!
Easy Crock Pot Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers Recipe
An EASY slow cooker sausage and peppers recipe! Low carb, paleo, healthy but hearty. These 10-minute prep Crock Pot sausage and peppers make one of the BEST slow cooker sausage recipes.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video and learn how to make this recipe!
Click on the underlined text below to buy ingredients!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers
- 1.5 pounds Kielbasa sausages (about 8 sausages)
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil (lard, ghee and avocado oil can also be used)
- 3 medium Bell peppers (sliced - I used one yellow, one red, and one green)
- 2 medium White onions (sliced)
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
Melt the fat in a large skillet over high heat. Brown the sausages for 1-2 minutes per side.
Slice the peppers and onions and place in the bottom of the slow cooker. Season lightly with sea salt. Top with browned sausages.
Set the slow cooker to low and cook for 5-6 hours.
- Make the marinara by heating the olive oil of medium low heat. Stir in the Italian seasoning and toast for just a few seconds. Stir in the tomatoes and simmer until hot. Season with salt to taste.
Serving size: 1 sausage with peppers (1/8 of entire recipe)
Video Showing How To Make Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Slow Cooker Sausage And Peppers!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols (though the latter are rarely seen on this site), because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.
Did you make this recipe?
Then, share a pic on Instagram. Tag @wickedspatula or #wickedspatula!
NEED PALEO ESSENTIALS?
Use the buttons below to buy paleo basics!