This Slow Cooker Pot Roast is perfect for cold winter days!
I don’t know about you but I love a good slow cooker dish in the winter. A few minutes of prep, throw everything into the cooker and you’re good to go. This slow cooker pot roast is absolutely delicious for a cold rainy winter day. That’s exactly the type of day we’ve had lately. I just had to make something warm and comforting.
I had originally planned to make this in my dutch oven in the oven but, at the time of writing this post, our oven had broke the past weekend.
There is some prep work to this recipe but it doesn’t take very long at all. Searing the roast takes about 10 minutes and making the sauce takes about 3. After that you can set your slow cooker on low and forget about it for the next 8.5 hours.
I used sweet potatoes in this roast which I love more than regular potatoes. It gives the dish a nice sweetness that pot roasts usually don’t have. Plus they’re healthier than regular potatoes! I also used multi color carrots but any variety will do. They were on sale this week and they’re pretty. I love the purple, which strangely turns yellow after cooking.
I hope you enjoy this recipe just as much as we do. Be sure to have a lovely glass of red wine with it too! What’s your favorite dish to make when it’s nasty outside?
Slow Cooker Pot Roast
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 2-3 lb chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour (divided)
- Sea salt (to taste)
- Black pepper (to taste)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 tablespoons roast beef seasoning (mine includes a mix of italian seasonings, garlic, salt, and onion powder)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 6-7 large carrots
- 1 large sweet potato (cut into rounds, then quartered)
- 1 medium Red onion (quartered)
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
- Season roast with salt and pepper and coat with 2 tablespoons tapioca flour.
- Heat olive oil in over medium high heat. Sear roast on each side for 4-5 minutes or until it develops a crust and is gaining some color.
- Remove roast from pan and place in the bottom of your slow cooker.
- In the same pan with the roast drippings pour in the wine and reduce heat to medium. Reduce wine by about half. Stir in mustard and beef broth. Season with salt, pepper, and roast beef seasoning. Continue to simmer for a few minutes.
- Place carrots, sweet potato, and onion on top of the roast and pour the sauce over the top.
- Set cooker to low and let cook 8.5 hours. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed and enjoy!