I’m all for easy breakfasts. When I wake up the last thing I want to do is cook an elaborate breakfast so one of three things usually happens. One, if I worked out I make a huge smoothie with collagen, raw reserve, raspberries/blueberries, cranberry juice, coconut milk, and sometimes some greens. Two, I grab a pre-made item like these glorious pancake sausage bites and call it a day. Or three, I’m the definition of lazy and run 2 minutes down the street for bacon and eggs from Earth Fare’s hot bar. These days it seems like I’m doing a lot of all three, it must be my resistance to get a routine and stick with it.
I did really well for a while planning menus and prepping all of our food on Sunday for the entire week and then something happened and I just stopped. Like completely. We’ve ate out more in the last month than in the entire year. Seriously. It’s terrible, we feel terrible and our food budget took a knock-out blow. Do you ever get into those ruts where nothing sounds good so you don’t want to cook but then dinner time rolls around and you remember you do actually have to eat and end up getting tacos for the 5th time that week? Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE tacos but A. corn doesn’t sit well with me in large doses (even though I’d happily eat it for every meal for the rest of my life) and B. tacos aren’t necessarily the healthiest food I could be feeding my body.
So let’s just say that EASY pre-made meals like this are worth their weight in GOLD at my house lately. These little muffins are a breeze to whip up and even though I stuffed mine with breakfast sausage doesn’t mean you can’t veer off with your imagination and put anything you want in them. Chocolate chips anyone??
You can even skip the part where I tell you to mix the wet and dry ingredients separately and just dump in all in one bowl. I promise not to judge. While I’ve tried it both ways and doing it separately leads to a fluffier muffin there’s not a hugeee difference so I say go for it. That’s one less bowl you have to wash!
Pancake Sausage Bites
These little muffins are a breeze to whip up and even though I stuffed mine with breakfast sausage doesn’t mean you can’t veer off with your imagination and put anything you want in them.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 1/3 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cup blanched almond flour
- ¼ cup tapioca flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ pound breakfast sausage
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a muffin pan with 8 liners.
- Form the sausage into little balls and cook over medium high heat until cooked through.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together the coconut milk, coconut oil, maple syrup, vanilla, apple cider vinegar, and eggs.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry while whisking to incorporate.
- Place a piece of sausage in the bottom of each muffin cup and pour the batter of the sausage. Bake for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.