Ease the winter chills with a piping hot bowl of dairy-free cream of mushroom soup. This paleo cream of mushroom soup recipe is the perfect comfort food and honestly a winter staple at our house. Paleo mushroom soup is creamy without the dairy, and versatile enough to add to just about any recipe, while also being delicious enough to eat all on its own. The next time you need the canned stuff? Try out this homemade dairy-free mushroom soup instead. All of the flavor, none of the weird ingredients and thickeners!
This gluten-free cream of mushroom soup recipe wasn’t just easy to make, I also happen to think it’s the best mushroom soup recipe out there.
Dairy-Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup Ingredients
You may be wondering what the ingredients are in a diary-free cream of mushroom soup that still manages to be creamy! They’re all real ingredients, I promise. No preservatives needed in this paleo cream of mushroom soup recipe.
- Olive Oil – This is used to brown up and soften the mushrooms, onions, and garlic.
- Onion – Onions are a must in soup recipes, and it adds a great layer of flavor to this mushroom soup recipe.
- Mushrooms – You can’t have homemade mushroom soup without the star of the show. 😉
- Chicken Broth – This helps to add a savory flavor to the homemade cream of mushroom soup.
- Coconut Milk – The homemade mushroom soup gets its creaminess from the coconut milk. It’s a super essential ingredient and the only way we can get away with not adding cream!
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper – A must to enhance the flavor of this easy cream of mushroom soup recipe.
How To Make Cream Of Mushroom Soup Dairy-Free
Making dairy-free cream of mushroom soup doesn’t have to be an all-day affair. You can seriously make a batch of paleo cream of mushroom soup with just 6 ingredients and in 30 minutes.
Take a look at how to make paleo mushroom soup the quick & easy way:
- Saute onions and mushrooms. After onions and mushrooms have softened, add in some garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add the liquid. Stir in the chicken broth, coconut milk, salt, and pepper, bring it to a boil.
- Puree the soup. You can use an immersion blender or a regular blender in batches.
NOTE: The dairy-free mushroom soup will be very hot, so be careful when you blend it!
Do I Have To Blend The Soup?
No, if you prefer a soup that isn’t blended, that’s fine. Or if you want it to be somewhere in the middle, you can just barely blend it. Up to you!
Is There Gluten In Cream Of Mushroom Soup?
Yes, many store-bought mushroom soups are packed with gluten, because most are thickened with flour or other grain-based starches.
However, my version of paleo cream of mushroom soup doesn’t have any gluten in it at all.
Does Cream Of Mushroom Soup Have Milk In It?
Yes, anything you buy at the store is most likely made with a milk-based product.
Mine is a dairy-free mushroom soup, so there is no milk in it at all. I use coconut milk – which is vegan and dairy-free – to make the soup creamy.
How Do You Store Paleo Mushroom Soup?
Store leftover paleo cream of mushroom soup in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Can I Freeze Dairy-Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup?
Yes, you can freeze this dairy-free cream of mushroom soup. I know most cream-based soups don’t typically freeze well, but since this doesn’t have dairy in it, it works well.
Paleo cream of mushroom soup will last 2-3 months in the freezer. For best results, thaw it in the refrigerator, then warm it up. You can heat it on the stove or the microwave if you like.
More Paleo Soup Recipes
I think that soup and stews are the most comforting food! Have a look at some of these reader favorite paleo soup recipes:
- Roasted Carrot Ginger Soup – This warming soup is so flavorful and simple to make.
- Easy Whole30 Chili – It’s hearty and satisfying. Add plenty of toppings and dinner is served.
- Chicken Caldo de Pollo – This traditional Mexican soup is healthy and packed with flavor.
Paleo Dairy-Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe:
Pin it to save for later!
Paleo Dairy-Free Cream Of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Warm up with a bowl of healthy dairy-free cream of mushroom soup! This easy paleo cream of mushroom soup recipe needs just 6 simple ingredients and 30 minutes.
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video and learn how to make this recipe!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 1 tbsp Olive oil (or any oil of choice)
- 1/2 large Onion (diced)
- 20 oz Mushrooms (sliced)
- 6 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian)
- 13.5 ounce can Full-fat coconut milk
- 3/4 tsp Sea salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
In a large pot over medium heat, saute the onions and mushrooms in olive oil for about 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Add the garlic and saute for another minute.
Add the chicken broth, coconut milk, sea salt, and black pepper. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Use an immersion blender to puree until smooth (or puree in batches in a regular blender).
Serving size: 1 cup
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols (though the latter are rarely seen on this site), because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.