The combo of sweet + salty + spicy is TO-DIE-FOR.
I wanted to create a fun dessert just in time for Valentine’s Day that had some of those same flavors but in a easy recipe that doesn’t require knowing how to make thick chewy caramels…I’ve tried and while it’s not the hardest thing in the world mine usually end up a little too runny or a little too break your teeth hard. Enter this Paleo Chocolate Mousse with Habanero Salted Caramel.
Both components of this recipe are super simple to make. I start by whipping up a batch of my paleo caramel sauce and sub out the sea salt for habanero infused salt. Once that’s done you’ll pour a layer of caramel into jars and start the mousse. For the mousse instead of gelatin I chose to use agar agar which is a great vegan alternative. You can also use gelatin by subbing out the agar agar for 1 tablespoon of gelatin if that’s what you have on hand. After the mousse is done you’ll pour it on top of the caramel and refrigerate until set, about 3-4 hours.
I chose to top my jars off with a little coconut whipped cream, extra caramel sauce, shaved chocolate, and a generous sprinkle of the habanero infused salt. This makes for one stunning dessert that looks way harder to make than it actually is.
One note about the type of chocolate you’ll want to use, you can go with whatever cacao percentage you’d like depending on how sweet you want the mousse to be. Since the caramel is already pretty sweet I chose to use an 85% bar. This is really dark and for some might be too bitter. If you’d like to use a 70% or even a 65% bar go right ahead!
Paleo Chocolate Mousse with Habanero Salted Caramel
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 1 13.5-oz can Full-fat coconut milk
- 3.5 ounces 85% chocolate bar (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Cacao powder
- 3 tablespoons Agar agar (or 1 tablespoon gelatin)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Habanero Salted Caramel
- 1 batch Paleo caramel sauce (sub habanero infused salt for sea salt)
- Shaved chocolate
- Paleo caramel sauce
- Coconut whipped cream
- Habanero infused salt
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
Make the paleo caramel sauce according to its directions. Pour the caramel (saving about 1-2 tablespoons) into 6 small jars and set aside.
- For the mousse, place the coconut milk in a medium pot and heat over medium high heat. Once hot add in the chopped chocolate, cacao powder, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Once the chocolate is melted add in the agar agar and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat to a simmer and whisk until dissolved.
- Top the caramel with the mousse. Refrigerate until set, about 3-4 hours.
- To serve top with coconut whipped cream, shaved chocolate, extra caramel sauce, and an additional sprinkle of habanero salt.