This easy bang bang shrimp tacos recipe is what taco dreams are made of! Crispy shrimp is tossed with flavorful bang bang sauce (which is really ideal for a shrimp taco sauce IMO!) tucked into a paleo tortilla, and then topped with some tangy, crunchy slaw! YUM! My shrimp taco recipe makes a great weeknight dinner, but it’s also fun enough to serve to guests.
Bang bang shrimp tacos (or sometimes called firecracker shrimp) used to be one of my favorite appetizers… and it was definitely something I missed after going paleo! So you know what that means, I needed to come up with a paleo-friendly version. And I’m happy to report that my version tastes just like the real thing!
The shrimp are dusted in tapioca starch and flash-fried (giving them authentic shrimp taco crunch!), then drenched in the spicy yet sweet sauce that you could literally eat with a spoon.
Then there is the slaw! It’s perfectly crunchy and tangy, and adds an awesome crunch, for the best shrimp tacos ever.
If you want to make a vegetarian version, try this same recipe with bang bang cauliflower instead.
How To Make Shrimp Tacos
While the recipe for these bang bang shrimp tacos may look a tad daunting, I promise everything comes together in a cinch making it perfect for an easy weeknight dinner. The sauce can even be made ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
- Make the bang bang sauce. Get the bang bang sauce recipe here.
- Make the easy shrimp taco slaw. Mix together cabbage, cilantro, and onions. Drizzle olive oil, white vinegar, honey, and salt on the cabbage and toss to combine. Store in the refrigerator until you’re ready to eat.
- Make the tortillas if you’re making them from scratch. Here’s the paleo tortillas recipe I used, but I also love this recipe with one-ingredient plaintain tortillas or pre-made cassava tortillas, or even without tortillas eaten as a salad instead!
- Cook the shrimp. Toss the shrimp with tapioca, and then fry until they have a golden, crispy crust. Toss with the bang bang shrimp tacos sauce.
- Assemble the bang bang shrimp tacos. Place the slaw into the tortilla, top with shrimp, and drizzle with Sriracha if desired. Enjoy!
What Do Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos Taste Like?
This bang bang shrimp tacos recipe is the perfect combination of sweet, spicy, and tangy. Bang bang shrimp sauce has sweet, savory, and spicy flavor components to it that come together in an addicting combination. Then, it’s mixed with crunchy shrimp. Serve it up in a warm tortilla with crisp slaw and you’ve got one delicious taco!
Are Shrimp Tacos Healthy?
Yes, this homemade shrimp taco recipe is healthy. It’s made with whole food ingredients, with protein from the shrimp and veggies inside. Plus, the sauce is naturally sweetened.
How Do You Store Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos?
Store this bang bang shrimp tacos recipe in the fridge for 3-4 days. Keep the shrimp taco sauce in a separate glass jar or container, and it will last up to one week.
If you’re preparing ahead, it’s best to store the shrimp taco ingredients separately and assemble when ready to eat.
To reheat this bang bang shrimp tacos recipe, warm the shrimp in a skillet with a little oil, just until heated through, then toss with the bang bang sauce and serve with the slaw. Be careful not to overheat, as it can turn rubbery easily.
More Healthy Shrimp Recipes
Looking for more paleo dinner recipes? If you love this bang bang shrimp taco recipe, try these other paleo shrimp recipes:
- Sauteed Spanish Garlic Shrimp – Calling all garlic lovers! You can easily whip up a batch of this sauteed shrimp with 5 simple ingredients…and garlic is the star!
- Grilled Asian Thai Shrimp Salad – This fresh shrimp salad is bursting with Thai flavors – it’s savory, it’s tangy, and it’s a tad sweet!
Easy Bang Bang Shrimp Tacos Recipe
This paleo bang bang shrimp tacos recipe is the best combination of flavors! Easy shrimp tacos are topped with crunchy slaw, shrimp taco sauce, and a drizzle of sriracha.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Sweet Chili Sauce
- 3.5 tablespoons White wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Water
- 1.5 tablespoons Honey
- 1 clove Garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon Chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh ginger (minced)
- 1/8 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Pinch Sea salt
- 8 medium Paleo tortillas
Tacos + Slaw
- 1.5 lb Shrimp (peeled)
- 2 tablespoons Tapioca flour
- 1/3 cup Coconut oil (for frying)
- 1 cup Nappa cabbage (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Red cabbage (shredded)
- 1/2 cup Fresh cilantro (minced)
- 2 medium Green onions (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon White wine vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon Honey
- Pinch Sea salt
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
Make bang bang sauce, according to recipe found here.
- In a large bowl combine the shredded Napa cabbage, shredded red cabbage, minced cilantro, and green onions. Toss with the 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 1/2 tablespoon honey and a pinch of salt. Set aside.
Make paleo tortillas, according to recipe found here.
- Heat a large skillet over high heat and melt the coconut oil. Toss shrimp with tapioca until covered and place in skillet. Fry 2 minutes until golden, flip and fry another 2-3 minutes until cooked through and crispy. Toss with Bang Bang sauce.
- To assemble place slaw in tortilla and top with shrimp and a drizzle of Sriracha if desired.
Serving Size: 1 shrimp taco
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols (though the latter are rarely seen on this site), because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.