I will never tire of grilled salmon salad recipes! And this one is a special one! My grilled watermelon salad is sure to become your go-to salad for summer. Fresh and fruity watermelon is the star of this grilled salmon salad recipe. It’s got so many flavors and textures going on, it’s sure to become your new favorite healthy salmon salad!
When the warm weather rolls around, I’m all for not spending a ton of time in the kitchen, and salads are the perfect meal to make that happen.
Most of the time, though, salads are an afterthought. They consist of the long-forgotten wilted vegetables that are stashed away in the depths of your refrigerator, which you know you need to use but have no purpose for other than to place on top of a sad pile of lettuce.
But no more!
I challenge you to rethink your salad creations. Jazz it up a bit, throw in the unexpected. You won’t regret it. I based this salmon avocado salad on a vision of a summer watermelon + feta salad. This is why you see feta in the pictures, even though the feta is optional and I’ve removed it from the ingredients on the recipe card so that it’s a paleo salad recipe. If you can deal with dairy, feel free to add it, but it’s flavorful without it!
I knew I wanted it to be more of a hearty main dish type of salad, so I added some grilled salmon. It adds protein, yes, but it also adds healthy omega-3 fatty acids! The combination makes this a satisfying, filling salad – a rare occurrence in the salad world!
How To Make Salmon Salad
All in all, this salmon salad recipe takes about 20 minutes from start to finish to whip up. That’s less time than running to the store to grab a pre-made lunch, so it’s a win, win.
Take a look at these easy-to-follow directions for how to make salmon salad:
- Prepare the salad dressing. Add watermelon puree, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, honey, sea salt, and pepper to a bowl and whisk until mixed.
- Grill the salmon and watermelon. First, grill the watermelon and set aside. Then add the salmon to the grill until it’s cooked.
- Add toppings to salad greens. Place the salmon, watermelon and other toppings on the salad, then drizzle with vinaigrette dressing.
How Do You Puree Watermelon?
Pureed watermelon is really simple to make! You just need to mash the watermelon using the back of a wooden spoon, or you can toss pieces in a blender. Then pulse until nice and smooth.
Right now my favorite use for watermelon puree is this grilled salmon salad dressing recipe!
Grilled Watermelon Salad Variations
One way to add a little pizzazz to your healthy salad recipes is by adding a few extra ingredients. Here are a few of my go-to ideas:
- Shrimp – Add grilled shrimp to the salad in place of the salmon. Gives a little bit different flavor and texture to the fresh salmon salad.
- Mint – Mint and watermelon go incredibly well together. Just sprinkle on some freshly chopped mint.
- Peaches – Grill a few sliced peaches and add them to the grilled watermelon. So good!
- Lime Juice – Squeeze a little bit of fresh lime onto this salmon lunch recipe. It adds a wonderful summer flavor.
- Cucumbers – Add some extra nutrients with a few fresh sliced cucumbers. They taste great with most grilled salmon salad recipes.
Is Grilled Watermelon Good?
Yes, grilled watermelon is pretty amazing. I know it sounds strange because it’s typically served ice cold, but it’s actually really good.
Surprisingly, grilled watermelon has a much more savory flavor instead of sweet, with a hint of smokiness. You can eat it plain or with my healthy salmon salad.
Can You Make This Healthy Salmon Salad Ahead?
This is one of those grilled salmon salad recipes that taste better when you eat it fresh.
If you want to make it ahead, prepare all the ingredients in advance, but wait to assemble it until ready to eat.
More Paleo Salad Recipes
Sometimes you just get a craving for a fresh salad. Try some of my other amazing paleo salad recipes:
- Easy Tossed Big Italian Salad – Packed full of yummy Italian flavors.
- Grilled Potato Salad – Every bite is tangy and delicious.
- Avocado Salmon Salad – So fresh and easy to make.
Healthy Grilled Watermelon Salmon Salad Recipe:
Pin it to save for later!
Healthy Grilled Watermelon Salmon Salad Recipe
This healthy grilled salmon salad recipe has so many flavors going on! See how to make grilled watermelon salad in just 20 minutes, with simple ingredients.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 2 cups Watermelon (diced)
- 16 ounces Salmon
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Sea salt (to taste)
- 8 cups Mixed greens
- 1 Avocado (diced)
- 1/2 Cucumber (diced)
- 1/4 cup Red onion (sliced)
- 1/2 cup Watermelon puree
- 6 tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Honey
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
- Make the Dressing: Whisk together all of the ingredients and season with salt and pepper to your taste.
- Grill the watermelon and Salmon: Preheat your grill to medium-high. Rub the salmon with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with salt. Grill the watermelon for 2 minutes per side or until dark grill marks form. Grill the salmon for about 6 minutes per side or until easily flaked with a fork.
- Assemble: Divide the greens between two plates and top with salmon, watermelon, avocado, red onion, and cucumber. Serve with watermelon dressing.
Serving Size: 1/2 Entire recipe
The original recipe included 2 ounces of goat milk feta cheese, which I have removed to make this a paleo recipe. If you can tolerate goat cheese in small amounts, feel free to add it in!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols (though the latter are rarely seen on this site), because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.