Is the Holiday season complete without at least one batch of fudge? I think not. Sometimes though there’s just too much refined sugar that leads to crashing, mood swings, anxiety, and that overall craptastic feeling that none of us want during the holidays. That’s where this Date Sweetened Peppermint Cacao Nib Fudge comes in!
This health-ified version of your favorite fudge comes in at half the grams of sugar as a normal batch with it’s carnation sweetened condensed milk, semi sweet chocolate chips, and Lord knows what else. No, we’ve got good for you superfoods like coconut oil, coconut cream, raw cacao powder, unsweetened chocolate, dates, peppermint oil, and of course those little bites of crunchy cacao nibs.
The fudge sets up just like “normal” fudge >>> sidenote, can THIS become normal. Every time I compare something to its “normal” version I cringe. WHY should food like substances be called “normal” instead of calling REAL, healthy, and tasty might I add, food…normal? We’re changing that right here, right now. THIS IS NORMAL. WE’RE NORMAL.
OK, ok, back to this fudge!
We start making this fudge by making some date paste. I promise it’s easy and takes just a few minutes. All you have to do is soak the dates in some hot water (I use water from my tea kettle) then drain and blend them all up until they’re smooth.
Then I heated up some coconut cream and oil and poured that over some chopped unsweetened chocolate. Once melted I stirred in the date paste and peppermint extract. All that’s left is to pour it into a baking dish and top with the cacao nibs and wait.
Waiting might just be the hardest part. Who am I kidding, it IS the hardest part! The wait is worth it though since when it sets up you’ll have blocks of creamy fudge that scream Christmas! Now all you need to do is find a nice cup of tea, a cozy blanket, a cuddly cat, and a roaring fire to cozy up to and enjoy your fudge. If you need a cuddly cat mine’s on loan until she learns how to sleep during the night 😉
Date Sweetened Peppermint Cacao Nib Fudge
Is the Holiday season complete without at least one batch of fudge? I think not.
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 1/2 lb deglet dates
- 1/2 cup coconut oil melted
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 8 ounces unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 1 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1/4 cup cacao nibs
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
- Place the dates in a bowl or mason jar and cover with boiling water. Let sit 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a blender, blend until smooth.
- Chop the dark chocolate into shreds and place in a medium bowl.
- Over high heat melt the coconut cream and bring to a simmer. Once simmering pour over the chopped chocolate and stir to combine and melt. Once the chocolate is melted stir in the coconut oil, date paste, cacao powder, and peppermint extract.
- Line a baking dish with parchment paper and transfer the mixture. Shape it into a square that is 1.5" thick. Top with cacao nibs and chill for 4-5 hours until set.
- Slice the fudge into small squares, store in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.