Delicious grilled chicken, avocado, red onions, and tomato smothered in chipotle mayo sandwiched between a crispy plantain waffle to create a waffle slider you’ll dream about….Did that sentence make you hungry? It sure did for me.
I don’t know how I came up with this waffle recipe but I’m sure glad I did. It’s the EASIEST waffle I’ve ever made and cooked perfectly. I hate when I use the waffle iron and the batter is a sticky mess that clings to the grates. Not this one. This batter cooks up fluffy and soft and slips right out when it’s done. A quick toast in the toaster and it’s the perfect substitute for bread. You can totally eat it as a normal waffle drizzled with buttery maple syrup as well. I guess you’re really getting two recipes in one today!
This waffle would be great made into a sweeter sandwich as well. Maybe some ham or turkey with cranberry preserves? I’ll have to remember that come Easter leftovers. I call them waffle sliders because they’re small but I’m telling you one is enough for lunch. My waffle iron is on the larger side so one waffle creates two sandwiches. If yours is smaller just use your judgement. While they look like they would be difficult to eat they’re really not. Despite the height of them they smash down pretty easily.
Any other cool sandwich ideas you think would be great as waffle sliders? Leave em’ in the comments!
Chipotle Chicken Waffle Sliders
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
Ingredients for the Waffle
- 2 medium green plantains
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 dash Sea salt
Ingredients for the Sandwich
- 1 medium boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 medium avocado (sliced)
- Red onion (sliced)
- Tomato (sliced)
- 4 tablespoons Avocado mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Chipotle chiles in adobo (minced)
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
- In a blender process all of the waffle batter ingredients until smooth. Set aside for a few minutes and prep your other sandwich ingredients. (If you are just making the waffles just allow the batter to sit for 3-4 minutes so the coconut flour can soak up some moisture)
- Preheat your waffle iron according to its directions.
- Slice the chicken in half and flatten any super thick parts with a meat mallet. Heat a bit of coconut oil over medium high heat, season chicken with salt and pepper and cook 4 minutes per side or until cooked through.
- Slice the onion, tomato, and avocado. Mix the chipotle peppers in with the mayo.
- Pour batter into waffle maker and cook according to your brands directions. I usually add 1 or two minutes to my 4 minute recommended time.
- Place waffles in toaster of toaster oven to crisp up a bit. Assemble by spreading mayo onto waffle and topping with chicken, tomato, onion, and avocado.