I think chocolate is a suitable way to start the day, don’t you? It certainly is with my homemade chocolate protein shake recipe. Helloooooooo, decadence. But also, helloooooooo, nutrients. You know that I’m a big believer that healthy food doesn’t mean boring food. What is the fun in that? So I’ve created this dairy-free, dark chocolate banana protein shake for breakfast that’s both healthy and decadent… and creamy and rich and delicious.
It tastes like brownie batter, but it’s healthy. It’s breakfast protein shake perfection. You’re welcome. Just make sure to tell me how great your day goes when you start it off with chocolate. 🙂
What Is A Protein Shake?
This homemade protein shake is a meal-in-a-glass that provides your body with protein and essential amino acids. You can drink a protein shake for breakfast, snack, or after an intense workout because it will refuel your muscles.
In addition to getting a protein boost, this dark chocolate banana protein shake will keep you full and satisfied for hours, thanks to the protein, fiber, and healthy fats found in this chocolate protein shake recipe. Because this protein shake is dairy-free, you can use your favorite paleo protein powder or collagen peptides.
What Are Collagen Peptides?
Collagen peptides are a great way to add collagen to your diet. Collagen is what keeps your connective tissues like skin, ligaments, tendons, and other tissue elastic. Our bodies need collagen to keep our muscles, skin, bones, and joints healthy and strong.
Collagen peptides are different (and better!) than most protein powders because they don’t add much in terms of flavor to foods. So you can almost put it in anything without really noticing that it’s there. I like to add it to coffee, soups, smoothies and shakes.
I chose to add some Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides to this for the protein factor and also for texture. It gives it an airy mousse-like texture that helps the avocado not weigh everything down. Also, if you’re interested in purchasing the Vital Proteins, I would suggest checking out Thrive Market. They usually have it at a steep discount. If you don’t have any collagen or want to make a vegan protein shake, you can use whatever protein powder you have on hand.
How To Make A Protein Shake
Making this dairy-free protein shake is the easiest thing ever! It only takes 5 ingredients and just a couple of minutes.
First, you’ll need to gather all of your ingredients for the chocolate protein shake recipe:
- Collagen peptides
- Dark cocoa powder
- Maple syrup
- Coconut milk
- Sea salt
PRO TIP: For an extra-creamy and thick protein shake, peel and freeze your bananas before you blend them.
Once you have all the ingredients ready to go, toss them in a blender and give it a quick whir!
Homemade Protein Shake Variations
You can try all kinds of ingredients in your homemade protein shakes. Just keep in mind that whatever you add in can change the number of carbs and other nutrients. Here are some ideas:
- Ice Cubes – Toss in some ice cubes before blending for an extra cold and thick dark chocolate banana protein shake.
- Cacao Nibs – If you love dark, bitter chocolate with an antioxidant boost, toss a few nips on top or mix in your morning protein shake.
- Spinach – Don’t be afraid to add in some green nutrients to your banana protein shake. Spinach is a great addition because it doesn’t change the flavor much.
- Vanilla Extract – Add a little bit of vanilla extract to enhance the flavors of the chocolate.
- Coffee or Espresso – Place some brewed coffee or espresso in the fridge the night before you are making the protein shake for breakfast. It is seriously so good and gives you such a rich coffee flavor, plus a little caffeine boost.
Are Homemade Protein Shakes Healthy?
Yes, homemade protein shakes are healthy – if you make them with nutritious ingredients! We used plenty of wholesome ingredients in this chocolate protein shake recipe. Here is a breakdown of some of the ingredients and nutritional value they provide:
- Banana – This healthy fruit is full of fiber, potassium, vitamin C, and vitamin B6, so they are a perfect addition to this dark chocolate banana protein shake.
- Avocado – You’ll be getting omega-3 fatty acids, magnesium, potassium, folate, vitamin C, vitamin B6, and beta-carotene. This is why avocados go great in this chocolate protein shake recipe.
- Cocoa Powder – When you make a protein shake for breakfast and add in cocoa powder, you are getting zinc, protein, iron, copper, and potassium. Told you chocolate was healthy!
- Coconut Milk – Not only does it help make this a dairy-free protein shake, but coconut milk is also a great source of vitamins and minerals. Potassium, magnesium, iron, vitamin C, and calcium are a few of the nutrients you get.
- Maple Syrup – You get a touch of sweetness in the nondairy protein shake when you add a little maple syrup. Many people don’t realize it’s also full of antioxidants, potassium, zinc, riboflavin, and more.
Can You Make This Dairy-Free Protein Shake Ahead?
Yes, you can make this dairy-free protein shake ahead. If you know you are going to have a hectic morning, you can make the chocolate protein shake the night before. Put it in a glass with a lid or protein shaker bottle and place it in the fridge. Then you can grab it and enjoy a protein shake for breakfast!
You could also put everything but the avocado and banana into the blender and store it in the fridge overnight. When you’re ready to make your protein shake, simply add in the avocado and banana and blend.
Can You Freeze This Dark Chocolate Banana Protein Shake?
Yes, you can freeze this dark chocolate banana protein shake. If you can’t finish the chocolate protein milkshake, don’t worry! You can put leftovers in freezer-safe glass container and save for later.
One option is to eat it like ice cream once it’s frozen. Because it’s so rich and creamy, you will feel like you are eating a decadent dessert when really it’s a healthy treat.
Another option is to let it sit in the fridge for a few hours and toss back into the blender and enjoy partially frozen.
More Smoothie and Protein Shake For Breakfast Recipes
If you like this protein chocolate shake recipe, you may also like these:
- Anti-Inflammatory Turmeric Pineapple Smoothie
- Pumpkin Spice Flaxseed Smoothie
- Tropical Summer Smoothie Bowl
Homemade Banana Chocolate Protein Shake Recipe:
Pin it to save for later!
Homemade Banana Chocolate Protein Shake Recipe
This EASY homemade banana dark chocolate protein shake recipe makes a decadent & nutritious protein shake for breakfast. 6 ingredients + under 5 minutes!
Recipe VideoClick or tap on the image below to play the video and learn how to make this recipe!
Please ensure Safari reader mode is OFF to view ingredients.
- 1 medium Banana peeled (frozen if you want a thick ice-cream like shake)
- 1/2 medium Avocado
- 2 scoops Collagen peptides (or your favorite protein powder)
- 3 tablespoons Dark cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon Maple syrup
- 1/2 cup Coconut milk (full-fat)
- 3/4 cup Water
- Pinch Sea salt
More TIPS about this paleo recipe in the post above!
Place all ingredients in a blender.
Blend for 1 minute or until smooth.
Serving Size: entire shake
Video Showing How To Make Chocolate Banana Protein Shakes:
Don't miss the VIDEO above - it's the easiest way to learn how to make Chocolate Banana Protein Shakes!
Nutrition Information Per Serving
Where does nutrition info come from? Nutrition facts are provided as a courtesy, sourced from the USDA Food Database. Net carb count excludes both fiber and sugar alcohols (though the latter are rarely seen on this site), because these do not affect blood sugar in most people. We try to be accurate, but feel free to make your own calculations.