These Paleo Zucchini Fritters make the perfect light lunch or a fabulous summer side dish!
The number one reason that I’m excited about our garden this year is for tomatoes but the zucchini comes in close in second place. We planted 8 zucchini plants and they’re growing like weeds. Seriously I can look at them in the morning and then again in the evening and tell a huge difference. So wild! We eat zucchini like it’s going out of style so I can’t wait to have our very own harvest from the garden. We usually just slice them thin and grill them or toss them in a bit of butter and seasoning but I was in the mood for zucchini cakes the other day and this is what happened.
I simply chopped up some red bell pepper and onion along with the grated zucchini, mixed in an egg and some coconut flour and almond meal and seasoned the mixture a bit before frying. Served with arugula and a quick lemon dill mayonnaise I guarantee you’ll need to make a double batch!
- 2 large zucchini, grated
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely minced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely minced
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup coconut flour
- 1/8 cup almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Coconut oil or lard for frying (about 5-6 tablespoons)
- Arugula, for serving (optional)
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- Grate the zucchini and squeeze out the moisture with a cheesecloth or dish towel. Place in a medium bowl with the red bell pepper, red onion, and spices. Mix in the egg and flours until combined.
- For the mayonnaise combine ingredients in a small bowl and season to your tastes.
- In a large cast iron skillet heat enough oil on medium high to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Form into patties and fry until golden brown and crispy about 3 minutes per side. Serve with lemon dill mayonnaise and arugula.